By K.M. Parr
Writing is serious business. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s easy or comparable to a life of lounging by a pool, pen in hand. As a matter of fact, writing is a lot less glamorous than people think. It’s difficult. Time consuming. Frustrating. Words don’t always come when you want them. And even then, it’s one of the most rewarding experiences anyone can ever have.
Someone once said, “Why do you do it, then? If you think writing is such a difficult endeavor, then how can you even call yourself an author?”
One thing this person didn’t understand is that this is the nature of writing. It’s meant to be an adventure with unexpected twists, turns, and wonders beyond one’s imagination. That’s what attracted me to the craft. That’s why it is such an integral part of my life.
The beauty of the written word is much like being in the middle of a life-sized maze: you’ve been placed into an unknown situation and now you need to write your way to the end. Sometimes, you don’t remember how you got from one point to the other, but it works. And if you go at it repeatedly, the way becomes familiar; you gain your bearings faster.
I tell anyone and everyone that will listen to not be afraid to express themselves creatively. There may be times when you are discouraged, but that’s all a part of the ride. If it’s what you enjoy doing, do not give up.
My advice to anyone who wants to make writing more than just a passing fancy:
· Write. Write a lot. Write about your life, fictional characters, hypothetical situations, anything to get your mind moving.
· Don’t be afraid to ask friends to critique it. Get used to having others look over your work and help you perfect it.
· Carry a notebook with you at all times. Creativity comes at the oddest times.
· Have a plan of action. Type it out for yourself if you have to. Why are you writing? Do you want to self-publish? Submit to agents or publishers?
· Never let anyone tell you to stop. If writing is what you enjoy doing, don’t listen to those trying to bring you down.
K.M. Parr is the author of the newly released Alex in Wunderstrande: The Clairvoyance Clock. Connect with her online at: