Wednesday, July 20, 2011

In the middle of things

One of my favorite (yet probably the most grueling) part of writing is being in the middle of the draft, with an outline in hand while still making changes as I go along. It's a balancing act--how long do I make this chapter, what is really this character's motivation, should I put more or less description here, etc.

I probably take longer than most writers to finish a draft because I'm never sure how a scene will go until I write it. Sometimes it takes me in new and interesting directions, other times I hit a dead end. So some days I delete more than I write, even as I go along, because I've changed my mind on how a chapter should go.

So far things are going well with Saturnine--and hopefully they stay that way. I'm done with the first part, which leaves three more to go. Writing a thriller is a new experience for me, but I love writing fiction that's at a fast pace. Hopefully someday people can enjoy reading it as much as I love writing it.

No comments: